Saturday, May 5, 2018

Hen Chronicles: Wasn't that a mighty storm?


If there’s one thing chickens do not like, in addition to loud, sudden noises, it’s strong winds.

The wind was kicking up such a racket during the night that it woke me up at 3:30 this morning. By the time I went out to release “the girls” from their coop at 5:45 it was still blowing up a storm, so I figured Nellie and Hope would be none too happy.

After I placed their feed and water bowls in the pen, I unlatched the coop door, anticipating protests. Nellie, one of our two Rhode Island Reds, surprised me by cooperating. She headed down the ramp and made a beeline for the food bowl.

But Hope was another matter.

Approaching the open door ever so slowly, she tentatively stuck her head out. Tilting it to one side, she eyed the sky with a wary look before retreating back into the coop. She emerged moments later, only to make a quick about-face and head back inside while I was still removing last night's “deposits” from the pine shavings that blanket the coop floor.

Finally, she went back out yet again, and parked herself next to Nellie in front of the food bowl. Hunger had trumped anxiety. At least for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment